One Stop Short of Barking (formerly Mind the Gap) - Making of the Book by Mecca Ibrahim

One Stop Short of Barking (formerly Mind the Gap) - Making of the Book by Mecca Ibrahim

Sunday, September 12, 2004


People seeing my book in shops

Sorry I've been a bit lapse with posts lately, not that I've been doing book signings or turning into the next Lynne Truss yet. But I have done a few interviews for London magazines, a very short one on Capital Gold FM last month and will keep you posted on more radio ones hopefully next month.

It is simply the most bizarre feeling in the world to see your book in a bookshop, however more bizarrely for me has been my friends' reaction on seeing it (or not seeing it - as the case may be).

One friend saw some as part of a transport display in her local Waterstone's which she said was "surreal". Another was idling around Wisley Gardens and saw it there. Another friend has been going into Waterstone's demanding that it be put onto the ground floor as it's not in a very "young mum with buggy friendly position".

This weeekend Blogger Diamond Geezer saw a huge stack in Foyles.

I've only personally seen my book once in Waterstone's in Notting Hill and then I had to do a bit of a J R Hartley - "Do you have One Stop Short of Barking?" I asked coyly - hoping to God they wouldn't say "Errr what?" or "Who wants to know?"


Home